Saturday, April 10, 2010

I've Become A Tea Drinker

After years of being a die-hard coffee drinker, I find myself more frequently enjoying tea these days than coffee. I still drink coffee when I'm away from the house but for the most part, at home I drink tea. Not tea brewed from tea bags but tea brewed from loose tea.

Personally, I wouldn't thank you for bag tea, which is why I don't usually order tea when I'm out anywhere. I've become quite attached to the richness and variety of the flavours of tea that are out there.

Tea bags have a reputation for being lessor quality tea, which explains why I never acquired a taste for it when I was younger. My mother drank it on a regular basis and tried to get us kids into it but I just couldn't see the draw.

There are decaffeinated teas on the market. Having learned that the United States has approved both the use of carbon dioxide and ethyl acetate in the process of removing caffeine from black tea, I'll have the caffeine thank you very much.
I've discovered that seeking out tea shoppes can be rather fun. Each tea shoppe has its' own unique flavoured blends of tea in addition to the many kinds of tea available. Exploring the various blends is an adventure which never ends. I have to admit to having formed some favourites. Teaopia is a shoppe in the mall east of me. I rather enjoy their Dublin Creme black tea blend and their Creamy Nut oolong tea.




The Dublin Creme is my breakfast tea of choice. The blend is full bodied with the black tea and the added zip of coffee beans to start my day with, the creamy flavour lets me drink the tea my favourite way, clear. (no milk or sugar)

The Creamy Nut oolong is a tea I enjoy later in the day, usually when I need that 3pm pickup or am getting a bit of an urge to snack. The gentler flavour of the oolong combines with apple, caramel bits, almond pieces and mallow flavour to provide me with a sense of having something sweet without it being sweet.

I've also ordered tea online from the Tea Shop in Ottawa. (site is not online at the time of this writing) They send out samples of another type of tea along with your order which is really neat. That allows me to try something different and then decide if I like it.

Another site I've been recently exploring but haven't yet place an order is Adagio Teas.  The shipping will be a bit more because they are a US based company but that would be no big deal if I really like their blends.

The Adagio Teas site is fun to explore even without ordering. I may want to try out their custom blending feature, looks like fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment